Foliage is beautiful, but not when it starts building up in your yard! Whether it’s at your home or your business, nothing looks messier than a building with fallen leaves everywhere.
Sure you can rake them up, but that’s time-consuming and takes a lot of work. There’s got to be an easier way, right?
I’ve got the answers for you.
Enter leaf blowers.
In this post, I’ll teach you what to look for in a backpack leaf blower and review some of the best ones on the market.
If you’re in a hurry, check out my top pick, the over on Amazon now!
What’s a backpack leaf blower?
For those of you who don’t know, leaf blowers use a power source such as electricity or gasoline to blow those fallen leaves away. They come in several forms, but the best all around leaf blower is the backpack blower.
Backpack blowers are designed to contour to the human body and help redistribute the weight of the blower throughout your back, shoulders, and arms, rather than straining just the arms themselves. If you find yourself spending more than 30 minutes tidying up your yard, then a backpack blower is a good investment for your physical health and time.
However, not all backpack blowers are created equal. Let’s take a look at some factors you should keep an eye on when buying a backpack blower.
Backpack Blowers: What to look for
When buying a backpack blower, there are a few features you need to look out for, the most important being engine size, airspeed capacity, and the blower nozzle type:
- Engine Size: When shopping for a backpack blower, it’s safe to assume that the larger the engine, the more powerful the blower. Backpack blowers have larger engines than your basic handheld blower, meaning you’ll be able to handle tougher jobs with ease. These engines are rated for power in cubic centimeters (cc). The smallest backpack blowers will have engines at about 24cc while the largest ones can go past 80cc.
- Airspeed Capacity: Airspeed capacity is directly correlated to engine size. The higher the airspeed, the larger the engine, and the easier it will be for you to blow away leaves. Low-end backpack blowers will have an airspeed capacity of around 140mph while premium models can top out at around 240mph.
- Blower Nozzle Type: DIfferent blower nozzles are suited for different types of yard work. The most popular type is a wide, flat nozzle which works well on leaves, but having a model that allows you to switch between nozzle types will give you the most versatility.
These are 3 of the most important features you should be looking out for, but make sure you choose a backpack blower that is comfortable for you as well. Backpack blowers are significantly heavier than handheld blowers, so try yours on before buying to make sure it’s a good fit. The backpack blower should contour to your back and the handle and throttle controls should be easy to operate and reach.
Additionally, if you live in California or want to use a model that is environmentally friendly, make sure your backpack is CARB compliant. A backpack blower that is CARB compliant has passed testing through the California Air Resources Board.
Now that you know what to look for in a backpack blower, we’ve put together our list of top picks for the best commercial backpack blower, the best personal backpack blower, and the best budget backpack blower. Check them out below!
Best Commercial Backpack Blower: Husqvarna Gas Backpack Leaf Blower
Commercial backpack blowers are high-end leaf blowers that are typically used for professional use. Our top pick in this category is the Husqvarna 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Leaf Blower.
The Husqvarna 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Leaf Blower features Husqvarna’s signature X-TORQ engine which increases fuel efficiency up to 20% and reduces exhaust emissions by up to 70%, making this an environmentally and cost affordable purchase. The idling speed sits around 2200 rpm, but dampeners placed strategically between the engine and the chassis help to reduce vibrations, making this suitable for work in residential and commercial areas.
Not only is the Husqvarna efficient, but it’s also well designed. The dampener between the engine and chassis reduce vibrations, minimizing stress on your arms and hands. The handles are adjustable, so you can angle them as needed for a comfortable grip. It even has a load-reducing harness that helps to distribute the weight of the blower throughout your body rather than just on your arms and hands.
When Husqvarna designed the 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Leaf Blower, they did so with professionals in mind. It features an Air Injection centrifugal air cleaning system that reduces wear on the engine and also extends the time between filter cleaning, making your life a little easier.
- The 50.2cc engine allows for powerful gusts
- The X-TORQ engine reduces emissions by 70%, leaving a light carbon footprint
- Fuel efficiency is increased by 20%, saving you money on frequent gas refills
- Dampeners between the engine and chassis reduce vibration and noise
- The speed throttle allows for a cruise control setting, making leaf blowing easier than ever
- Padded harness and hip belt distributes weight evenly, reducing tension on your arms and hands
- Vacuum capable means you can suck up leaves as well as blow them away
- The Air Injection cleaning system reduces wear on your system, making it last even longer
- Adjustable tube length so you can adapt to any situation
- 2 year limited warranty
- Primer bulb can be difficult to reach
Want to know more? Check out more info about it over on Amazon!
Best Personal Backpack Blower: Poulan Pro Leaf Blower
Personal backpack blowers are blowers that were designed primarily for home use. Our top pick in this category is the .
The Poulan Pro features a 48cc 2- cycle engine that is more than enough to handle most household needs. The airflow can reach speeds of 200mph and handle leaves as well as other debris like mulch and grass. The Poulan Pro is best suited for yards a ½ acre or larger.
A CARB compliant backpack blower, the Poulan Pro features antivibration capabilities to reduce fatigue on your arms and hands. It also features adjustable shoulder straps and a padded, load-reducing harness to reduce strain on your body. The frame is durable, so you don’t have to worry about damaging it while you’re working in your yard and the handle is a contoured soft-grip.
The Poulan Pro also features a cruise control option similar to the Husqvarna. Simply set the switch to cruise control and the Poulan Pro does the rest!
- The 48cc engine packs a powerful punch
- Airspeeds of 200mph mean the Poulan Pro can handle heavier debris, such as mulch, in addition to leaves
- CARB compliant engine leaves a light carbon footprint
- Antivibration technology reduces fatigue
- Shoulder straps and load-reducing harness redistributes weight
- Durable frame
- Contoured soft-grip handle for easy carrying
- Cruise control option makes blowing leaves a breeze
This blower can get noisy, so you probably won’t want to use it while your neighbors are sleeping
Want to get one for yourself?
Best Budget Backpack Blower: Black + Decker BEBL7000
Budget backpack blowers are designed to provide utility at an affordable price. Our top pick in this category is the Black + Decker BEBL7000
Unlike the other two backpack blowers on this list, the Black+Decker BEBL7000 is a blower that is powered by electric rather than gas. Because of this, you’ll need to be within reach of a power outlet. However, for homeowners on a budget, it offers quite a bit of versatility.
The Black+Decker BEBL7000 doubles both as a leaf blower and a leaf vacuum. It reaches speeds up to 250mph and even has a powerboost button for extra power when needed. It also features a flexitube that can be used to get to hard to reach spaces. While it lacks many of the features of the first two backpack blowers, it essentially does the same job for half the price.
- Operates as both a leaf blower and a vacuum, offering maximum versatility
- Powerful enough to handle heavier debris such as mulch
- It reaches speeds up to 250mph
- The powerboost button provides an extra boost for difficult spots in your yard
- The flexitube makes it easy to blast or vacuum in any direction
- Because it’s powered by a cord, you are limited in how far you can go
Click here to jump over to Amazon to get the best price!